The porcelain veneer method is among the most advanced teeth restorations today, helping to quickly cover defects of teeth such as fractures, slightly deviated teeth, discoloration … When first learning about this solution, many people still wonder about the durability of the veneer porcelain surface.
Why can some users maintain their veneer in 10-20 years, but others just use theirs only in 3-5 years, which is required to be replaced. Here are 3 main factors affecting the durability of the porcelain veneer, that you need to pay attention to.
Kinds of materials of veneers
There are many kinds of veneer material, and any choice has an impact on the durability of veneers. Each material has its own advantages and disadvantages:
- Composite material has a cheap price, short time of restoration. The material still ensures aesthetics, but for a long time, it is still worn out, easily discolored, and has poor gloss and durability. The longevity of composite veneers is about 5 years.
- Porcelain veneer has better biological compatibility, clearer and more natural color, and hardness up to 400 MPa corresponding to real teeth. The material does not cause irritation to surround tissues. However, porcelain veneer has a higher cost and a longer treatment time, but in return for much longer durability, usually for 10 years or more if a patient takes good oral care.
Qualification of Dentists
Veneer restoration requires good technical expertise from dentists. In addition to controlling color and aesthetics, the dentist must also ensure the stability of the bite joints, the health of the gums after the prosthesis …
If you accidentally encounter a dentist who indicates inappropriate treatment, not only can the veneer fall off, but also easily cause bad breath, bleeding gums, weak teeth, and other oral problems.
Veneers Restoration Aftercare
Whether veneers durable or not depends much on the hygiene and maintenance of the patient’s oral care. The better the veneer care, the longer the veneer will be used.
- Avoid biting hard foods such as crab shells, bones, seeds…..
- Go to the dentist every 6 months to check the contours on the veneer surface, and check the hygiene, the fit.
- Don’t eat hot or cold foods when you first brush your teeth after veneer restoration.
- Use a soft brush to clean your teeth. The veneer edge and real teeth are usually located under the gums, you need to pay special attention to clean this junction.
- Quit smoking
- Keep good oral hygiene and adhere to regular oral checks with the dentist, at least every 6 months;
Contact LN Dental Clinic for more information
Talk to your cosmetic dentist at our LN Dental in Chester Hill to find out which might be the best option of treatment for you. Our professional dentists have years of experience in helping our patients restore their smiles. For more information about any of our procedures, please contact us at (02) 9644 1499 or book an appointment today.
Leave a reply