How Children Today Can Benefit from Early Orthodontic Treatment
In the past, dentists usually waited until the teenage years to recommend orthodontics. But with modern dental technology, we now know what youths can benefit from early treatment. Today, most dentists will evaluate a child’s potential for orthodontic treatment by around the age of seven. At this age, your LN Dental Chester Hill dentist can evaluate what type of orthodontics might be necessary.
1, What Is Early Orthodontic Treatment?
Children who need it will usually start early orthodontic treatment around the age of eight or nine. The goal with this early interventive treatment is to correct bite problems, such as underbite, and guide the growth pattern of the jaw and adult teeth. With early intervention, we can often ensure that there is enough room for the adult teeth to grow in, reducing the possibility that the child will need extraction for orthodontic treatment in the future.
The advantage of early orthodontic treatment is that it takes place while the bones in the jaw are still soft and pliable. Corrective procedures such as spaces work well in children and usually mean that getting braces later on will involve less time needed.
2, Does Your Child Need Early Orthodontic Treatment?
If you take your child to the dentist for routine examinations, LN Dental Chester Hill can make recommendations for early orthodontic treatment. Some tell-tale signs include:
- Kids who lost their baby teeth before the age of five—or who didn’t start losing them until after the age of five or six.
- Children who are mouth-breathers or thumb-suckers.
- Kids who have protruding teeth or whose teeth do not meet properly when they bite down.
- Children who have a speech impediment that could be related to their teeth.
3, We Welcome Your Call to LN Dental Centre for Early Orthodontic Evaluation
Find out more about early orthodontics in LN Dental Chester Hill by calling our dental clinic. We warmly welcome new patients of all ages.
LN DENTAL CENTRE
Shop 3, 11 Chester Hill Rd
Chester Hill, NSW
(02) 9644 1499
- Orthodontics – They are not just for kids anymore
- The Benefits of Space Maintainers for Children
- Digital Dental Implant Surgery at LN Dental for More Comfortable, Reliable Results