1. Orthodontic Treatment
Many people believe that orthodontic treatment is just for children and adolescents. But the truth is that everyone deserves an attractive and healthy smile—regardless of their age. At our Chester Hill, NSW practice, LN Dental Centre, we work with patients of all ages in providing orthodontic treatment.
2. What Is Orthodontics?
Orthodontics is the dental specialty that focuses on the straightening and aligning of teeth. The use of braces has traditionally been how teeth that were misaligned became straight. Today’s orthodontic options are often combined with orthopaedics, which focuses on correcting irregularities with the jaw and the bite, resulting in more streamlined treatment for position correction. Orthodontic issues can occur because of genetics or environmental factors. Results after treatment can be dramatic, with both the aesthetics of the smile improved as well as oral health since effective brushing and flossing are easier with straight teeth. At LN Dental Centre, orthodontics is often used as part of a multidiscipline approach with dental implants and gum treatment for more improved patient outcomes. Periodontal and implant surgeries can be done in conjunction with braces to ensure optimal results.
3. Why Timing Is Crucial?
Orthodontic treatment today includes evaluation of young children because we can often prevent certain conditions from developing. Treating youngsters while they are still growing often means that we can avoid additional treatment when they are older. Some of the orthodontic and orthopaedic therapies and appliances we offer include:
- A trainer for kids. This appliance looks similar to a mouth guard and can help teeth grow in properly and correct habits such as tongue thrusting.
- The Myobrace. Wearing this appliance and performing myofunctional exercises can actually eliminate the need for braces because it can help correct many of the problems that lead to crooked teeth.
- Individual Patient (IP) orthodontic appliances. These custom-made brackets from the United States are designed for each patient unique case, allowing for more efficient, precise teeth moving.
4. How Braces Work?
Braces and other orthodontic appliances straighten the teeth by applying gentle pressure to gradually move them into the desired position. Dr Nhan will create a customised treatment program that will describe how your treatment will proceed. Some patients will immediately get a full set of braces while others might proceed with orthodontic treatment in phases. Some of the most common orthodontic corrections include the following conditions.
- An overbite, when upper front teeth protrude over the lower front teeth
- An underbite, when lower teeth jut out past the upper teeth
- A crossbite, when the upper teeth meet inside the lower teeth
- Open bite, when upper and lower teeth don’t line up properly
- The earlier we identify an orthodontic problem, the better, and we recommend that children receive an orthodontic assessment around the age of seven or eight.
- Most patients can expect treatment to last anywhere from six to 30 months, depending on the severity of the orthodontic problem.
5. Is Orthodontic Treatment Right for Me?
Every patient has different needs for their smiles. We invite you to call us to arrange a consultation. Dr Nhan will conduct an assessment of your current oral health, talk to you about your smile goals and develop a treatment plan that incorporates the best course of action.