Many people believe that orthodontic treatment is just for children and adolescents. But the truth is that everyone deserves an attractive and healthy smile—regardless of their age. At our Chester Hill, NSW practice, LN Dental Centre, we work with patients of all ages in providing orthodontic treatment.
Orthodontics is the dental specialty that focuses on the straightening and aligning of teeth. The use of braces has traditionally been how teeth that were misaligned became straight. Today’s orthodontic options are often combined with orthopaedics, which focuses on correcting irregularities with the jaw and the bite, resulting in more streamlined treatment for position correction. Orthodontic issues can occur because of genetics or environmental factors. Results after treatment can be dramatic, with both the aesthetics of the smile improved as well as oral health since effective brushing and flossing are easier with straight teeth. At LN Dental Centre, orthodontics is often used as part of a multidiscipline approach with dental implants and gum treatment for more improved patient outcomes. Periodontal and implant surgeries can be done in conjunction with braces to ensure optimal results.
Why Timing Is Crucial?
Orthodontic treatment today includes evaluation of young children because we can often prevent certain conditions from developing. Treating youngsters while they are still growing often means that we can avoid additional treatment when they are older. Some of the orthodontic and orthopaedic therapies and appliances we offer include:
- A trainer for kids. This appliance looks similar to a mouth guard and can help teeth grow in properly and correct habits such as tongue thrusting.
- The Myobrace. Wearing this appliance and performing myofunctional exercises can actually eliminate the need for braces because it can help correct many of the problems that lead to crooked teeth.
- Individual Patient (IP) orthodontic appliances. These custom-made brackets from the United States are designed for each patient unique case, allowing for more efficient, precise teeth moving.
How Braces Work?
Braces and other orthodontic appliances straighten the teeth by applying gentle pressure to gradually move them into the desired position. Dr Nhan will create a customised treatment program that will describe how your treatment will proceed. Some patients will immediately get a full set of braces while others might proceed with orthodontic treatment in phases. Some of the most common orthodontic corrections include the following conditions.
- An overbite, when upper front teeth protrude over the lower front teeth
- An underbite, when lower teeth jut out past the upper teeth
- A crossbite, when the upper teeth meet inside the lower teeth
- Open bite, when upper and lower teeth don’t line up properly
- The earlier we identify an orthodontic problem, the better, and we recommend that children receive an orthodontic assessment around the age of seven or eight.
- Most patients can expect treatment to last anywhere from six to 30 months, depending on the severity of the orthodontic problem.
If you missed out on the opportunity to have braces as a child, or if you have suffered an orthodontic relapse with teeth that have shifted out of alignment over the years, LN Dental Centre may be able to help. At our Chester Hill, NSW clinic, we offer adult brace that can give you a straight, beautiful smile that might also be healthier.
Clear Aligner Braces
Because many adults are not comfortable with the idea of wearing traditional braces with unsightly brackets and wires for many months or even years, clear aligner braces might offer a welcome solution. Because the clear aligners are removable, you can take them out for eating and cleaning your teeth. You will experience no food restrictions with Clear Correct, and it will be easier to keep your teeth clean and healthy. In addition, if you will be taking part in a social event or if you have an important work meeting, you can take out the aligners for a few hours without impacting your treatment. We do recommend, however, that you wear the aligners for at least 22 hours each day to keep treatment on course.
Clear aligner braces work by gently nudging the teeth into the desired position with a series of aligners that you change out every few weeks. Busy adults appreciate the fact that treatment is usually shorter than with traditional braces—generally six to 18 months—and you need fewer trips to the dental clinic since there are no adjustments necessary.
Sometimes orthodontic conditions are too complex for clear aligner treatment, so we might recommend traditional adult braces. For patients who have bite-related issues, orthodontics can protect oral health by minimizing the risk of undue wear on the teeth, chewing problems, and other jaw-related difficulties. We offer tooth-colored ceramic options, so they are barely noticeable.
Whatever your age, you can enjoy the benefits of having a straight, beautiful smile with adult brace treatment at LN Dental. It’s easy to get started. We welcome your call to book a consult.